Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Midweek Update

It´s Wednesday afternoon, which means I only have one more class left before the weekend, and I figured it would be a good time to check in with some important updates on things I have mentioned in previous blog posts.

1.) Holidays: http://malinargentina.blogspot.com/2008/09/argentinian-gladiators-and-day-of.html

I got a lot of feedback on this, and it´s official, the Day of the Gnocchi is a real holiday, and Argentines and Uruguayans celebrate it on a monthly basis. I was also told that it is customary to put a bill under your dinner plate on this day, because it brings good luck. No word on if there is a Gnocchi Fairy or not, but I like to imagine that there is. Unfortunately I can´t say for sure which day of the month is ñoqui day, because I have heard both the 20th and the 29th. Until I can clear this up, eat them twice a month to be safe.

Also, while I´m on the Holiday topic. While getting onto the bus today I heard something on the radio about The Day of the Girlfriend, which apparently isn´t just Valentines Day any more. It may be today, or it may be coming up soon, I didn´t hear enough to figure that out, but I´m begining to think these ¨holidays¨are being created by the Government to increase spending and stop the economy from being so crappy. The chocolate industry must be booming, but that probably has more to do with my previously mentioned alfajor habit.

2.) Midterm in Argentina Sociedad Abierta: http://malinargentina.blogspot.com/2008/09/pop-midterm.html

I beat my midterm up. Like it owed me money. We got our tests back yesterday and I got a 10 out of 10, an A-plus. This was a very good feeling, especially considering the circumstances and how unprepared I was when I showed up for class. 1 down, 4 to go.

3.) This doesn´t relate to a blog I actually wrote, but it relates to one I thought about writing, which counts for something. Starbucks is huge here, but there is only one. I have never seen this particular Starbucks without a line out the door. It is slightly more expensive here, as is McDonalds (I treated myself to an Oreo McFlurry yesterday after finding out how well I did on my test), and the menu is similar, although Argentinized. They have Maté Lattes, and Dulce de Leche Frapuccinos. I hear you can also get a real Capuccino there, because a ¨capuccino¨here is normally a sweet drink that is basically a coffee with a bunch of chocolate. I have learned that Argentines find a way to add sugar to everything, including sandwiches -- for dinner one day our house mom brought home ham sandwiches, half of which were on puff pastry that was covered in sugar. I kid you not.

Here is another blog on Starbucks down here, it´s a short and entertaining read.
http://atexaninargentina.blogspot.com/2008/05/will-starbucks-be-hit-in-argentina.html

2 comments:

Erejota said...

Maté Lattes...naw..I waaanntt daaat.

Harrison Ford said...

In Russia, Mickey D's is expensive, but I'm willing to pay anything for a taste of democracy and freedom every once and a while.