Which brings me to my first point. How poorly organized is this school schedule? Todays class was 'optional', because the school bussed a bunch of students out to the provincias for what is basically "field day" -- I decided not to go, mostly because in order to go you had to be at school at 8 a.m., which means I would have to wake up before 7, which .. well, is probably, on average, closer to the time I go to sleep than closer than the time I wake up. Maybe that's an exagerration, but it's still waaaay to early for any self-respecting Argentine to be awake. So class today: optional (and if you go to the party you get an additional free excused absence). The next two weeks are cancelled, because of Easter and a national holiday. Tuesday was also a national holiday -- no school.
Speaking of the national holiday, I decided to walk down to the park and read (which was really relaxing -- there was a guy playing the harp right by me. Perfect). Of course I didn't bring my camera, and of course I passed something cool but couldnt take pictures. There were tons of students waving banners (including one red one with a sickle and hammer), chanting, and marching down a street, which I guess was shut down, because there was a cop with his lights flashing at one end. It turns out the big gathering was at Plaza de Mayo, where everyone gathers whenever anything big happens, so I should have went there. The next big holiday is to remember the Falklands War, so I'm definitely heading down there with my camera (and running shoes). I'm hoping for some great anti-England photo ops ... a guy was passing out anti-England flyers in our building the other day. Ridiculous. I met an English guy who works out at my gym, but he told me he tells people he is from Scotland.
I went to a Peter Gabriel concert the other day, that was cool, but I wish I had the videos to put on here. My internet is too slow to make uploading video practical. Here is a photo, I love outdoor concerts:
I found a really cool bar last night that is not only no-cover on Wednesdays, but gives out free food and drinks. They just started a few weeks ago, but every Wednesday is a theme: Argentine Night, Cuba Night, Spanish Night, etc. Last night was Spain. Apparently for Cuba they gave out free cigars. Last night they had free Spanish food (gazpacho, omlette espanola, etc.) and Sangria (which had roughly the same alcohol content as kool-aid, but was absolutely delicious), as well as a flamenco show. I met some Argentine guys that I am going to play soccer and basketball with. Next week is Scandanavian Night, so I think I will go with the Fins.
Until next time, chicos,
Miguel
No comments:
Post a Comment