Friday, March 6, 2009

Hola!

A lot has happened since I wrote last, and I know I've talked a little bit about what I've been up to with some people, but I'll try to fill in the gaps.

On Monday I went to orientation, which was super boring because I had already been through it once before, but I did get to pick my classes; I have Monday and Friday off, which will be nice when I want to travel. After orientation I decided to walk home. I must have covered at least 50 blocks, because it took me, roughly, about 2 and a half hours. This wouldn't have been so bad had it not been extremely hot outside -- I only had a 100 peso bill on me, so no one would let me buy a water because they didn't want to make change (this is typical of Argentine store owners). I drank like a camel when I finally got home.

I saw a few interesting things on my way home. The first was a beautiful, traffic-stopping woman. Literally traffic-stopping, because she had a host of people around her with big mirrors and a guy on a box was yelling directions for her to pose in certain ways in the middle of the street. The guy was yelling in English, so I approached them and started talking, and it turns out the model was from Sweden ... figures. I really should try to visit that country some day..

Another unexpected moment was when, about an hour later, I saw 2 big stores side-by-side, each filled to the brim with mannequins. Odd. I kept walking, and the next store I passed was also stocked with fake people. This went on for blocks and blocks ... at one point I started laughing at how ridiculous it seemed, but by the time I reached the end of Mannequin City I had accepted it. It was funny to see the different body types, from hyper-endowed women and jacked men to skinny people to children. I'm positive that any type of mannequin you could ever want can be found in this part of town.

I went back to school on Tuesday and went for a walk afterwards again, although this time I didn't head directly home. I took a nap on a park bench next to a lake, and then walked for quite a while, winding my way back home and literally smelling the flowers. It wasn't terribly exciting, but it was definitely relaxing, and I want to head back that way this week and take some pictures.


My food concerns have been sorted out, and I have been eating better of late. A good steak can be bought for a dollar or two, no kidding. I had been trying to have one a day, although I didn't get to go buy one today. Sometime soon I am going to whip out a little red wine compound butter like we do at the restaurant and keep it in the freezer. Should be excellent.

I went out last night with a buddy from Ole Miss and a guy in his program, from Harvard. It was a good time, and I look forward to doing it again. We're playing soccer tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: