Thursday: The first day of my four day weekend, and the first day of the week where I generally accomplish nothing. Today seems to be keeping with that trend, despite my best efforts to make it otherwise.
I still need to get the ball rolling in the process of aquiring my residency. I called to make an appointment but all the lines were busy. I still need a phone, so I went to the mall, where I thought there was a phone kiosk, but it was in fact a bank kiosk, and therefore no help at all, since the banks here won´t let me open an account. And then I went to ask the Front Desk people how to get a phone, but they are on their two hour lunch break. That´s the way things generally work here; the whole country conspires to keep me from getting anything done.
No matter. Yesterday I learned that there is a festival starting in 3 weeks with The Hives, Motley Crue, Stone Temple Pilots, Dave Matthews Band, one of the lesser known Marley sons, and a bunch of other bands from all over the world. It is stretched out over a couple of months, but I think I am going to buy some DMB tickets today or tomorrow, once I figure out how many Uruguayans RJ is going to bring with him. Exciting news.
Even more exciting yesterday was my encounter with Persicco, the Hagen-Daaz of Buenos Aires, if you will. It wasn´t cheap, especially by local standards (about 3 bucks for a cone), but it was undoubtedly the best ice cream I have ever put in my mouth. I got crema mascarpone, and I forgot to tell you, but the second best ice cream I have ever put in my mouth is the one I had last Friday, from another local place. I´m not exaggerating. The ice cream here, as far as I have experienced at least, is unreal. The coffee is really good too. So are the empanadas, which, as far as I am concerned, are everything a Hot Pocket aspires to be. When done right they are the perfect college-kid food because they are quick, cheap, absolutely delicious, and the portions are small enough that you can get anywhere from 2 to 6 and end up completely satisfied, depending on your level of hunger. I might have to take to Empanadas de la Abuela about getting a franchise right outside of The Levee. Who wouldn´t want to spend 3 or 4 dollars on a handful of steaming hot steak turnovers at 1 in the morning?
Ponder that while you wait for my next update, I´m going to try and get some more pictures on here after my weekend adventures.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, we discovered what my housemother billed as the best ice cream in the city. It happens to be very close to our house but I'm not going to challenge her claim because it was legit. It was also 2 blocks from Playa Pocitos. Summer here I come.
Post a Comment