Monday, August 4, 2008

La Mississippi?

First things first, everybody wish a happy birthday to my sister. Today she turns 9 .. I mean 10. I hope the cake is good.


Secondly, I only have a few minutes to write this between classes, but I wanted to let everyone know that a.) I did not tour River Plate´s stadium, but still plan on doing that soon, maybe this week, and b.) there are only like 5 or 6 ads that are repeated ad infinitum (get it?) around the city. One of these, inexplicably, says La Mississippi. After walking by dozens of these ads I finally decided to look and see what it was all about. Apparently there is a band named La Mississippi, and apparently they play the blues -- I am skeptical though, because I have yet to encounter any real blues in Argentina.


I went to a music store and under ¨blues and jazz¨they had Norah Jones, Miles Davis, Coltrane, and a little bit of Ray Charles. That was about it. No blues in the blues section, which is unfortunate, because I don´t think they know what they are missing out on.
Anyways, I had a few other things to say but I spent the last ten minutes trying to figure out a way to embed that video instead of just putting a link, so I am going to wrap this up.
We went to a really sweet fair yesterday where vendors sold all kinds of arts and crafts, and there were the types of entertainers you find at places like that all over the world ... in fact it might even have been the same guy, peddling his unicycle from continent to continent while juggling three swords and speaking into a microphone-slash-earpiece. There were also a ton of guys doing Capoeira, which I´ve always heard is a Brazilian Martial Art, but seems more like an excuse for the hippies down here who couldn´t afford a $1200 ticket to Bonnaroo to wobble around and act really high.
It was really cold this weekend. It got down to 1 degree, which is apparently above freezing, but I swear there were icicles in my bedroom. That´s all for now. Ciao.

1 comment:

Erejota said...

do they call the fair 'la feria'? They have those a couple times a week here and it sounds pretty similar.