Thursday, July 31, 2008

Staying Alive

Not only am I still alive, but I found a way to convert the rest of my American dollars, $228 to be exact, into Argentinian pesos, close to $700. This is kind of like having the ´unlimited plan´ down here for the next few weeks, because 700 bones goes a long way. This should help keep me alive until I get the debit card situation sorted out, although things were looking dicey for a minute, because without cash, or efectivo, it is hard to buy things ... for those of you back home, appreciate the fact that just about everywhere you go is going to accept your MasterCard without asking questions. I know I will, especially after I went to a buffet, ate, and then found out I couldn´t pay with the only thing I had. That was a tricky situation to get out of, especially since it was a buffet (which means -- yes, even here -- it was run by hard-to-understand Chinese folks).

Soccer was OK today, but it´s going to take a little while longer to settle in and get confident. I´m thinking about bringing a camera because the stadium is really sweet. Well, it is really run down, actually, but the bleachers could easily hold 3 or 4 thousand people, and the field is surrounded by a big ass fence topped with barbed wire. As long as batteries and bags of urine aren´t thrown at us during games, things should be good. There was another American out there today, from New York ... he used to play D1 ball at Seton Hall, with US National Teamer Sascha Klejstan. I feel like that is a good indication of the level down here. Our center-mid dropped in a shot off the kick off, it was gross.

Tomorrow I am going to try and go to the River Plate stadium and take a tour, expect pictures later on in the weekend. Ciao.

No comments: