Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election, School

4.0, suckas! I finished the semester with all A´s, which is a good feeling, an even better feeling, in fact, than finishing the semester during the first week of November (which is a pretty good feeling on its own).

Now, uh, excuse me while I climb onto my soapbox.

This really doesn´t have much to do with Argentina, but I think the election results are pretty exciting. I wasn´t a die-hard Obama or McCain supporter, but it´s obvious that the rest of the world is --that is my insight from abroad. Argentines everywhere, and really non-Americans around the globe, from what I´ve read, are excited about the results, and it would be nice to see the U.S. return to being the respected and admired country that it has been.

Now from the soapbox: I´m not sure how many of you non-adolescent or non-Mississippian readers have been exposed to this, but there has been a terrible amount of (for lack of a better word) bitching on Facebook since last night, and if I have to read another comment about our ¨terrorist¨-¨communist-¨socialist¨ future president ... well, it will be one comment to many.

It shouldn´t have to be said, but we live in a democracy, and if you can´t take it when your candidate loses there really isn´t much e-whining can do to help you. You can continue to vote for whoever you want, but moving to Fiji, México, Canada, New Zealand, or whatever other country you are going to threaten to move to isn´t going to matter to anyone but you, so we don´t need to hear about it. Furthermore, you might want to rethink that move if you are trying to get away from Obama supporters, because most countries have indicated they would vote about 80 to 90 percent for Barack, far more than the U.S.

From the reactions these people are having you would have thought Barack had rode into Washington on a Panzer, with Osama Bin Laden as his VP and an exhumed Fidel Castro as his Secretary of State, and forcefully imposed his crazy ideas of ¨redistribution of wealth¨.

If you are one of these people: take a deep breath. You´ll have another chance in 4 years.

I´m going to leave it at that. I figured my own blog would be a better place to get that off of my chest than contributing to back-and-forth facebook bickering. Moving on:

Tomorrow I will be going to Montevideo to see RJ and his friends, so that should be a blast. Expect pictures to follow.

Until then..

2 comments:

ceililove said...

Nicely said, Miquel. and congrats!!!! im so proud of you!

ikacote said...

Te felicito por esas palabras. Muchos jóvenes (y no tan jóvenes) tendrán que empezar a crecer.